By Bob - 21/01/2010 13:33 - Canada

Today, I'm a cashier in a grocery store. The visiting regional manager tore me a new one for being lazy. His reason? After working a double shift with no break, I decided to sit down for a minute when things got slow. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 865
You deserved it 2 737

Same thing different taste

Top comments

In your province, OP, it is against the Employment Standards Act for your employer to not provide you a half hour break for each period of work in excess of 5 hours, unless your union has agreed to something else, or there was an emergency in your workplace. Your regional manager made a judgment based on a snapshot of your department. Yes, in a retail environment it looks awful to have employees sitting around doing nothing. Your RM probably also assumed that your management team obeys the law. You should inform your RM that they don't.

today you're a cashier....what will you be tomorrow?!

Comments

lmfounta 0

Today you were a cashier in a grocery store? What were you yesterday?

pretty_rave_girl_fml 11

seriously what will u be tomorrow???? lmfao :P

letitbe56 0

I can totally relate. Standing up for a full 8 hours is brutal. Never having worked a double, I can't even imagine standing up for 16. Funny how managers always flip a shit if you take a moment just to give your legs a break. A trick I learned: if it's slow, and you want to sit without getting in trouble, just take a long-ish bathroom break.

I would have talked to your boss, let him know that you had a double and just sat down for a second to relax (no break either!) and then have him talk to the regional manager. Or tell the RM yourself "Hey, I just worked a double and I haven't had my break yet, I'm dead on my feet and needed one minute to sit down". That RM owes you an apology.

CrazyCowgirl67 0

WOW, YOU DONT WORK FOR LOBLAWS DO YOU ? RETAIL IS A THANKLESS JOB, YOU ARE BY LAW ENTITLED TO A 15 MIN BREAK FOR EVERY 5 HRS YOU WORK. ALTHOUGH KNOWING YOUR RIGHTS DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOUR EMPLOYER WILL HONOR THEM. EMPLOYESS WHO STAND UP FOR THEMSELVES CAN AND WILL BE FIRED FOR A VARIETY OF INDISPUTABLE REASONS ON A DAILY BASIS. UNFORTUNATELY, JOBS SUCH AS CASHIERS, FAST FOOD, SUPERMARKETS, GAS STATIONS ECT ALL HAVE ONE THING IN COMMON....THE BOTTOM LINE. THERE IS NO EMPLOYEE LOYALTY. YOU ARE ALL DISPOSABLE. THIS IS WHY OUR PARENTS ENCOURAGED US TO STAY IN SCHOOL, SO WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO BE A "GRUNT"WORKER TO SOME BIG CONGLOMMERATE. IF I WAS HIRING I'D APPRECIATE A TEAM PLAYER LIKE YOU. UNFORTUNATELY YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE RECOGNISED FOR YOUR WORK ETHIC WHERE YOU ARE. RUN...GET OUT...BETTER YOURSELF...DON'T LET THEM GET RICH OFF OF YOUR EFFORTS.

I know how you feel. I once had a boss who kept asking if I'd 'fell over' if he saw that I was not on my feet.

hassenpfeffermmm 0

You have to click out and take a real break. They dont want to pay you to sit around.

Don't you know that you're not supposed to be resting when the big boss is there?! Psh...you lazy son of a bitch!

mad_hatter0666 22

he just earned himself a big **** you!