Genius move

By Soopa-Genius - 22/09/2011 12:06 - Canada

Today, the new office IT guy figured the best way to get the virus off my computer was to wipe my entire hard drive. He was kind enough to back my data up and restore everything from the backups. Including the virus. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 505
You deserved it 2 687

Same thing different taste

Top comments

perdix 29

I think it's your IT guy that needs to be wiped.

Comments

Harder than you think, the real question is why she had a virus on her work computer anyway

Maybe if he wasn't watching so much **** at work...

I don't see a problem he tried to help, it didn't work, oh well, try again later.

Actually, you're wrong. It is very possible to remove a virus without a factory restore. Find the virus, and remove all programs and registry files related to it. Then presto, clean computer.

MerrikBarbarian 9

you haven't dealt with too many viruses have you? some load themselves into the boot registry and rename themselves and reload every time you start your computer. sometimes an unconditional format is the only way to kill a virus. one really nasty one requires a physical reset (opening case and moving pins) to totally wipe it off.

#67: Would you like to come fix mine whenever I have problems?

Well STDs don't just go away like that sweety

Well STDs don't just go away like that sweety

tjv3 10

your it guy is an idiot he gives all the rest of us bad names

tjv3 10

actually 17 an IT professional that is well versed in the operating system and in reverse engineering of malware/virus software can completely eradicate the problem from the computer. I have done it numerous times. while it does take more time to complete the knowledge gained is well worth it in most cases. plus it goes a long way in helping to prevent future infection.

This would be worse if he just left after removing all your work.

Lostdonut 3

Yeah those are the nasty ones, but I doubt that was the case here. Safe mode usually works with the people who come to me. But I have had a few bad ones where registry or wipe was needed.

MissBunnyWillEat 11

@MissBunny - Most likely! This IT guy is a total newb.

26 any connection to the OTHER account named 'MissBunny' or is that your evil step sister who looks exactly like that in MissBunnys profile picture AND MissBunnyWillEat's picture. (I am Bruce Wayne, I saw through your situation).

Soooo..... why didn't you do it yourself instead of involving other folks?

Cuz its the ITs job to do it not his that's why

nero9112 4

You know nothing of productivity.