By Perplexed - 19/01/2013 13:14 - United States - Sioux Falls

Today, someone broke into my car by smashing the driver's side window. I'd be less irritated if they had just used the door handle; the lock has been broken for years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 193
You deserved it 3 475

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I know the theif broke the window, but am I the only one wondering why you didn't have the lock fixed years ago? Seems like the type of thing you'd want to fix asap. Oh well, when you bring the car in to replace the window you can have the locks fixed too.

Comments

betseyville 6

What a dumb thief. Hypothetically, if I were breaking into a car, I would check the locks first. Anyway, FYL OP.

LMFAOwned 9

Next time OP should just leave a post-it on the door: "Save me some trouble, use the door handle instead."

How do you figure OP was home or that they had the opportunity to park somewhere that had a garage?

Check the door handle first? The majority of the time, that's the last thing you do. Most newer vehicles have an alarm that when the remote is used to lock, it will go off if the door is opened. This is all hypothetical of course.

that's why they're a criminal. they know they will be going no where in life. they're obviously not very bright.

MrBrightside21 20

I'm a criminal and I have a great life. Haha. Just kidding. I have a mediocre life.

2 and 23- Some people do want to have an exciting first half of their lives as a criminal and a (probably) equally exiting second half on the inside, you know, and that's some high-IQ criminals' (yeah, and some low-IQ ones') rationale.

23, Then you're doing it wrong man!!! Thats why i have a unicorn that ***** gold and i live in a mansion

I know the theif broke the window, but am I the only one wondering why you didn't have the lock fixed years ago? Seems like the type of thing you'd want to fix asap. Oh well, when you bring the car in to replace the window you can have the locks fixed too.

I'm no car expert but don't cars have to have an MOT every year anyway? I wonder how broken locks were missed...

Locks have nothing to do with the MOT. The MOT is testing roadworthiness, whether the doors lock is not a part of that and it entirely down the the driver.

Well if he didn't bother to fix the lock, I'm assuming that he doesn't really highly value his car. At this point fixing the door will cost more than what the car is worth.

xStaciexLynnx 15

Before my boyfriend got his new truck his old one was a total piece of junk and didn't lock properly. The cost to fix it would be more than the truck was worth. We don't all have brand new cars.

If OP is fine with it, why fix it? All OP has to do is not keep valuables in the car and it won't matter. It's like owning a soft top wrangler.

My old car, which was not old at all I got it with 20,000 miles on it, didn't lock. I never fixed it because it would cost about $800 per door to fix the locks. Some people can't afford that..

perdix 29

Why waste time checking a lock when you are ready to smash a window? Sounds like more fun anyways. At least you now have a reason to get the whole door fixed :)

laya_fml 26

Now, you have an excuse to buy a new car! If you have had broke locks for years, it's probably time anyway.

Oh, my window's broken, I guess I need a brand new car because this one is obviously totaled.

laya_fml 26

I didn't say it had to be brand new. There are used cars that people can buy. And it's not just the fact that his window was broken. He's had a none working lock for years. It makes it seem like he is driving a crappy and not safe (anyone can get in it) car.

CharresBarkrey 15

Anyone can get into any car with a window, then. And if OP lives in an area where an assumed crappy car gets broken into, I don't think they'd want to spend the money to get a nicer car, just to have even more criminals attempt to break into it.

Not everyone can afford to just go out and buy a new car.

Well if you have insurance just tell the insurance company that the thief broke your locks then it will be a little more worth it

Opening doors are for *******, you have to rob the right way :p

Using the handle is too easy nowadays. Everyone knows that.

Because using door handles are just too mainstream.

Shrouds 14

I was breaking windows before it was cool. (exhale)