By heat pumps suck - 26/01/2017 14:28

Today, since moving to a state with relatively milder winters last year, my heating bill has more than doubled. I am now paying more to keep my new apartment at 62 when it is 20 outside, than what I was paying to keep my ancient apartment at 70 when it was minus 14 outside. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 938
You deserved it 474

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like you have either bad insulation in the walls or that your windows and doors aren't sealed properly. See if you can get an inspection done, and if that is the problem, talk to the landlord.

PolarBear2020 10

Hey OP here, I created the account so I could join in. I am trying to keep my apartment warm, since it is winter now.

Comments

Open your windows if you want to keep your house cooler without the air on.

PolarBear2020 10

Hey OP here, I created the account so I could join in. I am trying to keep my apartment warm, since it is winter now.

Sounds like you have either bad insulation in the walls or that your windows and doors aren't sealed properly. See if you can get an inspection done, and if that is the problem, talk to the landlord.

jcash52426 5

What kind of heating system do you have now and what did you have in your old place. FYI natural gas is the cheapest, then oil heat and electric heat is the most expensive heat

assurant 12

If things get too bad you can always go primitive and make a fire

20 is milder?!? Where on earth did you move from???

Haha 20 is barely coat weather! (unless it's windy)!

beardedbard1 6

Speak to your landlord about your issue. Heat pumps become inefficient below 40 degrees, and don't produce much heat. When this happens, electric heating coils take up the slack and drive up your electric bill. Gas heat (and even steam/hot water with an efficient boiler) is much more economical.

Moved to the Northwest? If that is the case, 20s is not the norm, at least not for the entire winter. Typically it's around the 40s during the day and maybe low 30s overnight. Which is why heatpumps work here, the milder weather. It's most likely leaking windows or poor insulation.

Heat pumps suck before 40f, you'd almost be better off turning on the oven lol

da_epic_failman 7

Get Ambit energy, their rates are great, and they have a free energy program. They might not be in your state, but it'd be worth it to check, right?