By Anonymous - 04/10/2013 00:16 - United States - Irving

Today, I was at Petsmart with my puppy. Someone tried to pet him. I tried to warn the guy that he is a rescue and doesn't trust easily. He didn't listen and now wants to sue me for a dog bite that didn't even break the skin. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 177
You deserved it 3 254

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This is why I don't like taking my dog out often. People need to learn to ask before touching a stranger's pet.

Kyuubi_Rose 11

Well, he can't sue if there is no damage and you did try to warn him. People should never pat strange dogs without owner's permission, it was his own stupidity

Comments

chloem103 9

I don't even get why people do that. I've always known to ask people if I can pet their dog, if they are ever hesitant I won't. I don't want to scare the pup. I've had some idiot with her to grand kids walk into my driveway while my dogs are out, she was telling her grand kids to pet my dogs. I kept telling her no and to leave. She just said "No it's okay they have dogs." Mind you all 5 pups were barking like crazy. I ended up yelling at the woman to get her to leave. We have beware of dog signs up as suggested but people are so used to seeing them and thinking they are a joke. Especially if they see the signs are referring to a flock of small dogs.

I have to disagree wih the majority. OP knew this dog is volatile towards strangers yet took it into a public area without anticipating the dog reacting violently to them. While the guy is a moron OP should have had the dog muzzled or left it at home.taking steps to prevent this from occuring.

Lemurcat 12

I have to disagree with the OP not anticipating that her dog might react violently to strangers. The fact that she warned the man is proof that she knows what her pup is likely to do when touched by a stranger. And the fact that OP's pup did not go after people shows that either the pup knows better than to just attack unprovoked or that OP was in fact keeping the little guy close to her and keeping a good eye on it. But considering the guy felt the dog was nice enough to approach, I think we can safely assume that the dog wasn't just randomly yipping at people and showing signs of aggression. My dad's girlfriend owns a dog that was almost put down for his aggression (the grumpy old man, as we call him, barely has any teeth left. he literally can only gum you, lol) and by exposing him to people (who were specifically told not to pet him at this time), Stretch is no longer violent. So taking an antisocial dog out to a place like petsmart is a good idea. However, seeing as how there can be the occassional idiot who disreguards warnings like OP's, I do agree that getting the puppy used to a muzzle until he can be trained to stop biting might be a good idea for the puppy's safety. (wouldn't want someone to demand that he be put down. I've had plenty of friends whose dogs had to be put down cuz some idiot simply insisted on petting them despite warning given)

No bite no case and you warned him its his own damn fault for not listening

I never touch a dog without the owner's permission. Never. It's not mine. Gladly I'm seeing more and more people do the same thing around here. I mean its not their pet so why are they like... ohhh doggy TOUCH! Back off. Plus the guy was even warned and still did it. He got what he deserved.

Why did you not have a muzzle on your puppy (as is the protocol for dogs that might bite)...I'd sue you too. YDI!

...You would sue if you went to pet SOMEONE ELSES dog, and they warned you not to, yet you took it upon yourself to do so anyway, and the dog nipped you? You are exactly what is wrong with the world right now. If you do something ******* stupid, it's your fault! Why can't people take responsibility for their own actions?! She warned the dog was untrusting, not that he might bite, suggesting that she did not know the dog would bite and felt it best just to warn the man not to risk it either way. Dogs that bite unprovoked are to be muzzled, ANY dog may bite under certain circumstances, and you can't just muzzle all dogs all the time, people have to use their own judgement and not go crying to the courts if they make an ass out of it.

Why would you take a dog like that to a public place like Petsmart? YDI

lbong25 3

Because petsmart is a store for pets that dogs are allowed... Not like she brought her dog to a grocery store...

I am aware that dogs are allowed in Petsmart. That doesn't mean you should bring a dog that bites into a public facility. Also, the obedience courses are basic and not for dogs with aggressive behavior.

Being a rescue dog who gets scared and needs to be approached carefully or else a nip of warning will be made isn't exactly an attack dog. If I told someone "please don't touch me" and they grabbed my ass, I'm not aggressive if I screech and slap them, I'm scared and defensive.

But you are a person and this is a dog. I have two rescue dogs. One nips. I don't take him into public.

Actually he won't be able to sue, he can just make threats since it didn't break skin

To be clearer about my statement, I also believe the guy was an idiot for attempting to touch your dog (especially after OP gave warning & said no)...I only said I'd sue OP also in the event that their volatile dog bit me without provocation because it wasn't muzzled (I'd NEVER try to touch ANY dog #1: without the owners consent & #2: especially not if if I was warned & told not to)..I still stand behind the YDI because OP should have known better than to bring an un-muzzled, untrusting pet into a place where there are lots of people & usually other pets (which is why this all happened in the first place)..it could have been much worse. I doubt the guy will win any money from OP in court, but I do believe that OP may be fined for the negligence of not putting a muzzle on their dog (especially since they admitted that the dog doesn't trust)

lbong25 3

Why muzzle a dog that is fine as long as it's not touched.. Seems pretty simple to me. Don't touch the dog and nothing will happen. If the guy left the puppy alone then the puppy never would have bit him, so why would muzzling the puppy be necessary?

lbong25 3

Because you are clearly one of those people that don't actually read the original post and instead make up a situation in your head... The puppy did NOT nip because there were people and other dogs around, the puppy nipped because some strange man came up and touched him. I'm sure you'd freak out to if some stranger walked up to you and started to pat your head... So how about you think before you make some stupid assumption

What a douce! This is why people hate others! Because they can't understand anything sorry op

Sweetpea22 14

My local Petsmart has a puppy socialization class. How do you idiots saying YDI know she didn't bring her puppy there for a class? You don't so stop assuming

The puppy socialization class is not for aggressive dogs.

It's not aggressive to be scared and nip without breaking the skin when approached without caution by a stranger after being a rescue pet. The puppy can't yell "stranger danger" all he has is fight or flight.

Any contact to a human by the mouth of a dog would deem the dog aggressive in the courts eyes. Some states even put the dogs down. Maybe a crowded public place is not the best environment for a newly rescued dog.