By DeniedAgain - 29/06/2009 04:04 - United States

Today, I walked into a gas station and saw some $.25 gum. It looked good and I thought I had a quarter in my pocket. I found no change in my pocket once I got to the register, so I pulled out my credit card. The cashier laughed a few seconds later when my card was declined for a piece of gum. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 301
You deserved it 15 527

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Most places won't even let you use your card for something that cheap, they have to pay a fee every time someone charges. They'd lose money.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! oh tht happens if u use a debit card!! It's a sign, don't do a lot of shopping!!!

Comments

HAHAHAHAHAHA! oh tht happens if u use a debit card!! It's a sign, don't do a lot of shopping!!!

I'm sorry, but if you didn't have a quarter why didn't you just put the gum back? why would you use your credit card just for a piece of gum??

Well most people use the term credit card even though they have a debit card

Any credit card charge that small would not be declined.

that sucks xD but still funny. You should shop less

Indeed. It also sound like OP wanted to buy the gum because it seemed cheap, not because he actually wanted it. And even so, you should know you're poor, so don't go wasting money on gum...

Most places won't even let you use your card for something that cheap, they have to pay a fee every time someone charges. They'd lose money.

You're lucky he didn't run your card and say "Ten dollar minimum purchase on credit card transactions" and sell you the most expensive gum ever!

Jarlais 0

I woulda just put the gum back. Why would you charge a 25 cent item? That's just dumb

Why is a 25 cent purchase any different from a $25 one? If it's worth paying for it's worth paying for, and for me at least a card is much more convenient than cash...

It actually cost business owners a fee per transaction and a percentage of the purchase amount to accept credit cards. It's an unpredictable expense because cards that offer rewards typically pass the cost on to business owners who accept the cards. It's also why many business owners don't accept every card. American Express, for example, charges higher rates to business owners than Discover, MasterCard or Visa. Using a credit card to buy a $.25 item basically means the business owner is paying you to take their merchandise.

Unless you live in a state without sales tax a quarter wouldn't have been enough anyway...

Glam_fml 0
alwaysalady 0

I had that happen once, over 99 cent sunscreen. My card declined and I ended up walking 6 blocks with my son, and we were both fried. Sucks to be poor.

same thing happened to me a few days ago. i have 17 cents in my account.