The Dilbert Principle

By Anonymous - 14/06/2017 16:00

Today, my boss called me into his office. I've been working hard doing extra work so I can get promoted. He called me in to tell me I'm to reliable in my current position, so I won't be moving up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 340
You deserved it 328

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Silly boy! To get up to management, you need to slack off, produce crappy work and hang out in the break room gossiping. Working "extra hard?" Pshaw! That'll just get you doomed to be an eternal worker bee/cube monkey!

Perhaps converse with him (If you're congenial) that you feel as though its talent that could be used more appropriately in a different range of tasks as well? Don't sell yourself short! Maybe this is when you start job-shopping again!

Comments

Silly boy! To get up to management, you need to slack off, produce crappy work and hang out in the break room gossiping. Working "extra hard?" Pshaw! That'll just get you doomed to be an eternal worker bee/cube monkey!

Perhaps converse with him (If you're congenial) that you feel as though its talent that could be used more appropriately in a different range of tasks as well? Don't sell yourself short! Maybe this is when you start job-shopping again!

Time to stop doing the extra work to deserve the promotion.

That happened to my dad :( his manager kept sabotaging his opportunities cause he was too good at what he was doing. and my dad being so naive never even realized until very late. so i learned, moving up requires more tactic than actual skill and dedication unfortunately.

species4872 19

Working hard and doing extra work is fine but not conducive to advancement, it just merely makes you more indispensable. You need to show him that there is more value to you then what the company is already getting in you're current position. Don't take what he said as defeat, take it as a challenge. If you're too reliable in you're current position then show him how much better you would be in a position with more responsibility. Be creative, show initiative, let him see that you're abilities far exceeds what they're getting now. Don't just lay down, fight for what you want. Good luck.

pharm121 21

I've always wondered why FMLs with grammatical errors or misspellings are the ones to get featured...oh well..

HanBanana15 9

It's because not all people are naturally good at spelling. It's not realistic to expect proper grammar and spelling from every single person. Also, most readers are smart enough to read through those errors and discern what's being said regardless.

Lobby_Bee 17

Good, now you know what to do. You know their weakness now and you are important to them. It's a gamble that might work out in your favor, but tell them you are upset and feels like there is no future staying with them.

That is a lazy manager. People that work hard and do a good job need to be encouraged and promoted. If a manager doesn't do that it's because they don't want to have to deal with a new person under him that might make him actually do work. If you can't laterally move in the company, find a new job, or accept that you're going to be in that position forever.

missyfiona89 28

Your tendency for grammatical errors probably played a part in that decision too.